Ten years ago today, I was working a double shift as a server at Red Lobster to help pay for college. In the kitchen, my friends and co-workers were giving me a hard time. Instead of spending New Years Eve 1999 with them, I had agreed to go on a blind date with my Brother-in-law, Jason's, old roommate. I felt a little bad for ditching them, but it was going to be the year 2000 at midnight and I wanted a kiss. It was a crazy busy night at Red Lobster, and it went on forever. Finally my shift ended and I had a decision. I could be on time and smell like fish all night, or I could hurry to the basement apartment I shared with my cousin and shower and be late. I decided to shower. I wore my new cute brown sweater, my gap jeans, my doc martins and took the time to blown dry and fix my hair. I made it to the party that my sister had arranged to make the blind date less awkward (side note- arranging a blind date with 3 other married couples is actually a little more awkward!).
I walked in and said those words that let him know I was a keeper. "Where's the food? I'm starving!!" Jen made introductions and we delved into the awkward first date conversation. We played Mad Gab and tried to act like it was no big deal for us to be spending New Years with all these couples. Jen filled in the gaps of silence.
"Emily, did you know Joe brought microwave popcorn?"
"Joe, that's Emily's favorite treat! She just has to come to our house to have some because she doesn't have a microwave!"
and that's when he did it....said those words that totally endeared me to him.
"you don't have a microwave? I've got one out in my car if you want it!"
And so the evening went. Dancing, then fireworks, then the countdown to midnight and that's when Joe disappeared. No kiss for me at midnight. No hug. No hand shake.
Later, he walked me to my car and invited me for breakfast, but another double shift disuaded me from accepting.
The next day, I reported to my friends, "He's a nice guy, but I don't think anything will really come of it."
Joe was persistent. He called. A lot. He stopped by. He brought me a microwave. We went out again. He took me to meet his family- at the hospital where his sister had just delivered twins! We went out again. And then he sent me a package. A package filled with every kind of microwave popcorn ever made. And that, my friends, is how it all began.
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Who Knew?
Posted by Emily at 11:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
What a cute story! Microwave popcorn for you and Famous Amos cookies from me for Brian (but we're about 3 weeks behind you guys, our first date anniversary is coming up during MLK Jr. weekend).
Such a gorgeous photo! And such a fun story to the beginning of a beautiful life together!
Sweet! You do such a good job retelling the story. Maybe I should give it a try someday :)
Don't you love memories! They seem so distant from our everyday lives sometime eh? I love having my memories of the awkward.... getting interested, dating stages back when. I love this story. You guys are such a great couple. Happy New year to you and Joe!
I bet you'll get a kiss this year :)
i love it! thanks for sharing your story... i love knowing how people met...
That is the sweetest story! Happy date-iversary. :D
Awww...that is so fun! Glad you let Joe persist. You guys are a very cute couple. Thanks for the Christmas card. I love it.
What a great story - thanks for sharing~
Love it! And the best part...he still brings you popcorn and pepsi every night.
Can you believe it's been a WHOLE decade????
That is such a GREAT picture! Happy 10!!!
Post a Comment