Tuesday, January 12, 2010

10 on Tuesday

1. Confession: I've been feeling a little apathetic about blogging lately. I'm not reading them like I used to and I just haven't been that in to posting. I was thinking about taking the year off, and then I took a minute to read through some past posts. I have to admit, I teared up a little. How is it that the days can seem so endless, but the years fly by in the blink of an eye? I loved looking back at where we were last year, and the year before, so I'm sticking with it.

2. The kids all received new church clothes from Gma Nan and Papa Tom, and they could not have looked cuter.


3. Ben had his first day in Primary. He wasn't totally sold on the idea at first, but was willing to give it a shot. He looked soooo big! I guess I'm just feeling a little nostalgic, because I can totally remember this day like it was yesterday!


4. Dad had my name for Christmas and bought me the first season of Glee on DVD. Joe has stolen my heart all over again by sitting with me and watching every single episode. It was awesome.

5. On Monday, I accidentally shoplifted 2 pairs of tights from Payless. I've since repented and made restitution, so don't call the cops or anything.

6. Joe spent last week in Washington D.C. for his work. We missed him terribly, especially Rachel who made it worse by hurling one of the worst insults I've ever received at me through her sobs, " I don't want Dad to leave because you're not fun!!" What the h*ll!?!? I'M FUN!! I spent the entire week trying to convince her and the other kids I was just as fun as Dad. We were all exhausted and glad to have him come home.

7. Flashback: Every new year we could count on Mom's special "Resolution" family home evening. Mom would give a lesson on setting goals and pull all of our lists from the last year off of the refrigerator. Then we would review how we had done and set new resolutions for the New Year. Some years, I dreaded it. Maybe because it was painful to see what I hadn't accomplished. As an adult, I've come to appreciate it more. A fresh start, a step forward, a desire to better oneself. Every year we have our own resolution FHE. I realize we won't all accomplish everything (Rachel has had putting her Sunday shoes away on her list for 3 years now), but I know we will accomplish some, and it feels good to write it all down and hang it on the refrigerator.

8. One of my goals for this year is to scrapbook my weekly blog posts. I'm using a digital kit from here, and then I'm hoping to publish it through blurb. Here's one of my first layouts.


9. QOTD: I'm cleaning up the kitchen and I find an empty pudding container in the fridge and a dirty spoon in the drawer. Ben: Dad snuck in here and ate some pudding, but he doesn't want you to ask him about it.

10. I'm giving Joe a T.V. break and being super nice because look what's coming up on PBS! He's gonna LOVE it!

6 comments:

Gma Higbee said...

Let me be the first to proclaim how happy I am you are continuing your weekly blogging! They are so fun to read now, & will truly be treasured in the future.
I LOVE that photo of the kids!!
Both Rachel's & Ben's quote are priceless. (Rest assured, I think all children think their dads are "the fun ones".)

Salmon Tolman Family said...

I have been truly missing you blogging! I'm glad you'll stick with it for now. I've been thinking about you, wondering if you've been alright.
I've heard so much about Glee, I wanna start watching it myself!
And I can't believe your little Ben is already old enough to be out of nursery!!!
Did you ever read the 25 Days of Christmas day I did all about you?

Heather said...

So glad you're not taking a break. It's a good man who watches a little Jane Austen with his wife! I love your blog.

shel said...

Not that he'll ever admit it, but Chris has probably seen every Jane Austen movie ever done...I kinda got on a kick and he's that good to me ;) Glad to hear Joe is, too. They know what scores the points, right?!

I know what you mean about the blogging. I definitely go in and out of enthusiasm for it. But we are so happy to see your updates always! You have too much talent not to share...and you will have these things recorded forever. (especially if you are publishing them.)

Love the pictures and the quotes! Can't believe Ben is a Sunbeep (as my kids always called it)...xo

Linds said...

I love to Resolutions FHE idea! Def. going to make that part of our new year!

The Higbee Family said...

I LOVE the picture of the kids. Their Christmas outfits definitely were adorable! I guess you remembered or received...(Do you know what I am referring to?)