Monday, June 28, 2010

10 on Tuesday

1. So, we made it to D.C. It's been an adventure. We are crammed in a tiny apartment right in the city. The days are very long.......and loud.........I'm keeping them busy by dragging them to the library, various D.C. attractions, and the swimming pool. I'm trying not to count down the days, but sometimes I do.


2. Today is Joe's birthday. I spent the day making grand plans for a babysitter, a date, and the new iPhone. Unfortunately, none of that is happening. I'm hoping he is willing to settle for a cake, an iPhone cover (for a phone that will be purchased in the future) and chick fil a with all of the kids.


3. It took us 4 days to make it through the Natural History Museum. The children loved all of the Dinosaur bones. Annabel was just sick that she didn't bring the animal skull she found at the camp out to show them. She was sure the museum curator would be eager to put it on display.

4. The Natural History Museum has an exhibition on butterflies right now and they have an amazing butterfly pavilion with tropical plants and over 30 different species of butterflies. We went last Tuesday (Tuesdays are free!) It was a huge hit for all the kids, although Rachel was a little ticked you weren't allowed to catch them. Annabel stole the show when one landed right on her forehead and stayed for the rest of the tour.


5. Joe works for the Senate and we were invited to attend the Capitol Hill Ice Cream Social. Wow. Hundreds of Gallons of ice cream and thousands of grown adults standing in line with boxes (to take ice cream back to their office), animal rights protesters handing out tofu ice cream bars, balloon guys, face painting, and 8 children. Half of which were ours. The kids loved it.

6. We had the missionaries over for dinner the other night. They asked how old Susannah was and I told them she was 14 months and still not walking. Then she made a liar out of me by taking her first steps into the Elders arms (she made a double liar out of me- I told them she didn't like strangers). To pour salt on the would, she has refused to take a step since.


7. The other day, I bought a brand new package of ponytail holders. Today, I noticed they were all gone. Hours later the mystery was solved when I found a bow and arrows fashioned out of ponytail holders.


8. QOTD: Ben: Dad! If you want to buy me a new bow and arrow, you can have this one I made for your birthday!

9. We found a fun playground close to our house. It is full of Sand. That was Susie's first experience with sand and she loved it!! She would dive in it like it was water and just roll around and eat it by the handfuls. What a weirdo.


10. The other night, I went to pop a bag of microwave popcorn. The microwave made a funny sound, and then the power went out for the entire block for 6 hours. I'm not saying it was my fault...but the timing is awfully suspicious..........

7 comments:

The Higbee Family said...

I love all the adventures. Sounds like you guys are having tons of fun! Happy Birthday Joe! Hope you guys have a fun day celebrating. I would like to put in a request for a bow and arrow for my next birthday...could you pass that along to Ben?

shel said...

I am soooo happy to hear from you!
Love, love the pictures.
Sounds like the summer is going well for you all.
Happy Birthday to Joe...we love you!!

shel said...

Annie and Rachel,
I really love the face painting. You look so CUTE! I wish I could come to DC and see you. Hope to see you soon, though.
Love,
Carlie

Des said...

How fun! Pictures bring back so many great memories. Wish we were out there with you. That would be fun together with the kids and help make the time go by for you. Happy Birthday Joe! You are such a nice mom....I despise sand:( But it beats going stir crazy in cramped quarters I bet. Your living one of many adventures of your life. Hope you enjoy. Oh, and the microwave...total fluke ;) You probably popped it for some nice relaxation in front of the tube though...did you at least have time to pop and enjoy in the dark?

Monique said...

You are in DC!! Awesome. So what IS the countdown?? Love that Ben is so creative... I wonder where he got that from?

{leah} said...

Looks like fun... minus the small apartment. It's hard to be so squished.

I would just count the power going out at a coincedence.... that's definately what I would tell people. :)


{the picture of Annabell in her dance outfit is really pretty}

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Oh, Emily...what an adventure-filled summer you're having! So happy to read all about it!