Monday, July 12, 2010

10 on Tuesday

1. Still in D.C. It's a little hot and humid here. Just a little. Thank goodness for the swimming pool. The lifeguard knows all of my children's names. Because they get yelled. A lot. Not by him. By us. "BEN! KEEP YOUR LIFE JACKET ON!!" "OUCH! ANNIE! YOU JUST KICKED ME IN THE PRIVATES!!" "RACHEL!!! DON'T PULL ON SUSANNAH!" The children make up for the 2 hours of total chaos everyday by making and bringing multiple art projects to give him. He's very grateful. But I'm not sure he's saving them in a huge display in his apartment like the children think...

2. QOTD: (the girls were playing detective at the pool) Annabel spots a middle eastern man and points: There's a suspicious character right there! Side note: Joe and I in no way condone racial profiling of any kind.

3. We went and watched the fireworks at Iwo Jima. Joe and I still can't believe how well it went. Andrew and Emily met us there and the kids did really well in a crowd of thousands, riding the metro, walking a ton, and getting home at 10:30. It is a memory I'll treasure. Of course, my camera battery was dead. I did get this one photo before it died:


4. Ben found a trick five dollar bill that day. HE LOVED IT. He went to everyone in a 50 foot radius at the park and said, "Hey! Do you want $5.00?" And they would open it and be so surprised and he would laugh and laugh and find someone else. After about the 20th time, Joe and I began to be embarrassed. But he's a charmer and everyone loved indulging him and acting shocked that the money was fake.

5. Did I mention we live in a 2 bedroom apartment this summer? Joe, me and Susannah share one room. Annie, Rachel and Ben share the second. The girls take turns sleeping on the twin bed and sharing the double with Ben. Ben is not fun to sleep with. Example:


I know the obvious solution would be to put Ben in the twin bed. But the twin bed gives Ben nightmares. So we just laugh at him every night when we tuck him in and move him back to position.

6. Susannah is finally starting to walk! We are all very happy.



7. Photos from our Father's Day hike:



8. Good news: By making Ben wear his red white and blue shirt on the fourth, I was able to remove the shark shirt (seen in all other photos) and wash it. No luck removing it since. Who doesn't love a good shark shirt?

9. I was so sad I missed my class reunion back in Salmon over the fourth. Even after I read D'Neills recap on her blog (still laughing, D'Neill).

10. Happy Birthday to Laurel!!
Bonus: Turns out- today's Monday. Who knew? Joe just got home from work and informed me. I don't get out much.

5 comments:

D'Neill said...

We missed you, too. You would have enjoyed the 'box'. hahahaha Seriously, wish you were there!

shel said...

And happy birthday to YOU!!

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Amber Furness asked me if you were going to the reunion, and I said "I highly doubt it". I didn't even think you WOULD come if you COULD!!! I wanted to go but couldn't, because I was on a wild pig chase around the ranch. (gotta love 4-H, right? RIGHT?)
Oh, and I think you're funny asking me about my house. I'm not even sorry for keeping you waiting. I only ever even find out about your houses or moving experiences AFTER the fact.
So there. :P
p.s. sometimes i really miss you.
p.p.s. new pics will be up this week about the house, i promise.

Jill said...

Love the post. Happy birthday! Hope it is fabulous.

Monique said...

Happy Birthday!!! Wish you were here though. We will have to get together when you return. I hope Joe likes his internship and how fun is it that you get to do this?? Enjoy it!