1. Busy week! We've been racing around, making Christmas preparations, baking goodies, decorating trees, all very fun. Except for last night, when Rachel was up all night puking with a nasty stomach bug. She seems better today.
2. We took the kids to see Santa last week. Annabel was distraught because she had forgotten the very detailed list she and Amelia had made out. Ben was a man with a mission. He marched up and said, "I want a Thomas." and left. Rachel was so terrified she was shaking like a leaf and was rendered speechless. And then she finally blurted out that she wanted a cupcake maker for Christmas.
3. I cannot mention the cupcake maker without rolling my eyes. Every year the toy manufacturers release and advertise the most ridiculous toy known to man. Inevitably, that is all my children can talk about. Last year, it was Butterscotch- a $250 stuffed miniature Shetland pony that was in every store we entered (including the grocery store). This year it is the cupcake maker (if you really want a laugh, click on the link and read the reviews). I've tried to explain to Rachel that she already has a cupcake maker (me) and has no need for another. Hopefully whatever Santa brings will be so wonderful, she will forget about the existence of the cupcake maker.
4. Question: Has anyone every thrown caution to the wind and snuck on all the Disney rides despite the fact that they were 5 months pregnant? Please note that I in no way condone pregnant ride sneaking at Disneyland, I'm only asking out of random curiosity.
5. Flashback- Growing up, I spent a lot of time working at my Dad's Napa Auto Parts store. As a teenager, I would make deliveries. At Christmas time, we would take goodie plates to all of our biggest customers and they would give something yummy to us. My two favorites were from the Ford Garage (partly because they sent a delicious cheese tray, and partly because I had a small crush on one of the mechanics) and Bob's Auto Clinic. Everyone loved when the plate from the Auto Clinic arrived because it was filled with the BEST. PEANUT BRITTLE. EVER. Seriously. Bob's wife, Ciska made it and every year it was gone within minutes. Want some? Here is the recipe.
6. QOTD: Rachel: Hey Annie! Do you want to come see my puke?
7. Had my name mentioned in the December Creating Keepsakes magazine. That's what they do when they really like your pages, but still don't want to publish them ;) They list your name at the bottom of some obscure page. I didn't even notice it until a friend (after having it in her bathroom for a month lol) called and mentioned it. Still- it made me smile.
8. Please note the Christmas playlist I have linked to the right- enjoy.
9. So far the biggest hit of the Christmas season is this advent calendar I made out of matchboxes. It's filled with little treasures and notes and everyday the children cannot wait to open the little drawers.
10. Tender Mercy: Just before Thanksgiving, Rachel lost her build-a-bear. Each night, we would assure her that we would find it the next day. Everyday, I searched. I called neighbors and friends, to no avail. Rachel would cry every night she went to bed without the bear. Finally, one night I lay awake wondering where in the world it could be. I said a quick prayer for help. Then at three in the morning a voice said, "It's at Old Navy". I had not been to Old Navy for two weeks, and even then it was a quick stop for a birthday gift for Annie. I didn't think Rachel had the bear with her when we were there. Still, the next day, I stopped and asked. An employee went to the back to check the lost and found and came back with the bear. I screamed- I was so happy!
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
10 on Tuesday
Posted by Emily at 7:55 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
Yeah for Tuesdays!! I love reading your posts. Congrates on getting you name published...
Have a great day....with hopefully less puking!
Still love that Advent calender.... still don't know how to make it... still don't know if I want to even TRY to make it! :)
em - Loved your post...it made my day. The reviews for the cupcake maker were hilarious. I remember Ciska's peanut brittle - it was fabulous... Thanks for the sharing the answer to your prayer...Love Mom
I love your advent calendar! I saw one at Joann's and didn't want to pay $20 for it...so I am totally copying you next year!
Hooray! you found the bear! And of course you got mentioned... awesome. Um, I totally went on the wussy rides in Disney when I was pregnant. MOST of the rides your kids will go on are slower than your car ride there. :) But "go at your own risk." Which means, don't sue me. Don't you love that?
Emily, you are quite the gal. I really admire that you are close enough to the spirit you heard it at 3 in the morning. :) That truly gave me chills. You are so great, I can just hear you talking when I read these posts of yours.
Em, Who was your crush at the Ford Dealership? LOL! Also, your advent calendar is the cutest! Have a great week! :)
Jenny, I'll never tell:)
Do you know that everytime I come to your blog I scroll all the way down to the picture of you and Annie and it ALWAYS makes me smile. What will I do when it's on another page?
I just love Tuesday--your posts are so wonderful!
i love the puke question....so what my kids would do...followed by one of them puking after looking:)
O.k., couple of things, who was the mechanic you had a crush on at the Ford Garage, do tell!
Another thing, we have told my 7 year old for 2 years now that he cannot have the stupid Butterscotch horse. Have you seen the new dinosaur one just like it? Yeah, that's what he wants now. Good times, stupid commercials.
One more - my friend has gone to Disneyland while pregnant twice now, both times she could wear clothes to hide it, and rode ALL the rides. Go have fun :)
p.s. I love your Tuesday posts
So happy Rachel has her bear back...sweet story! Sounds like you are keeping busy!! I love, love, love your Christmas card!!!
IT WAS ME! I FOUND THE NAME WHILE ON THE POT. GUILTY!!!!! LOL! I'm sure Josh was wondering why I was shouting "EMILY HIGBEE" from the bathroom. Congrats!!
Disneyland: I went six months prego with Hallie, I WAS showing, and snuck on several rides. Although the one where you drive the cars, you know the old fashioned ones that go 3 mph? Well the lady asked if I was prego, um yes, duh. They would NOT let me on it!!! Are you kidding me?? It's more dangerous to ride the bus to the park from the hotel!! A few hours later, I hid my belly behind Josh and snuck on the Rockin Roller Coaster, and could barely breathe after they buckled me in. Wouldn't recommend that one, while prego. We still blame a crooked tooth of Hallie's on that ride. Have fun! And let the stresses go. :)
Hmmmmm, I think that cupcake maker is the exact present Steve's mom got for Lana. Great. I'm even less thrilled about it now. And she even new it was for 8-years and older!
I love your matchbox advent! So cute and clever as always!
Great advent calendar. I also love the 2 peas one you posted. I am thankful for craftily motivational blogs like yours. Your weeks sounds a little like ours. Our girls were doing some puking themselves yesterday and the night before. We just got your card a couple days ago. Thanks!!! We loved it!!! -M
Okay Em, I am finally with it enough to try and keep up on the blogs. I loved reading this week's entry. What excitement you've had this week. Puking, finding lost bear due to Mom's great revelation at 3:00a.m.(which I loved), Disneyland rides(I have done that pregnant as well as a few waterslides), a mention in a magazine(congrats), and all of us from Salmon wondering who the cute mechanic was. That is quite a week! Thanks Em, I enjoyed it all! Thanks for sharing.
Guess who's getting a Butterscotch pony this year? That's right. Steve's Dad (who has a history of going above and beyond -and not in a good way- when it comes to the Grandkids) is getting Gigi the giant mechanical horse for Christmas. Only it's the brown and white one. I think it's called S'mores. LOVE the advent calendar btw. SO want to make it now.
Post a Comment