Did your parents as a child ever threaten you as a child with future children just like you. Mine did. All the time. My mom would say, "some day you will be a mother, and I hope you have a child just like you." Those words were hauntingly prophetic today at the Dr.s office. I had a flashback to a day about 20 years ago, where my innocent father was assigned the task of taking my little brother and me for a routine blood test. My dad had no idea what he was getting in to. I had a huge fear of Doctors, hospitals and especially needles.
It wasn't long after we walked in to the building that my panic set it. My dad patiently explained that this was no big deal and would be over in no time. My little brother, Daniel even offered to go first to show me how easy it was. By the time he was done, I was curled up in fetal position on the couch holding my coat tight around me. Dad and the nurse wrestled me out of my coat and that's when the full on breakdown occurred. I began sobbing hysterically. My dad started to look a little panicked. To add to the confusion, my brother, who had been perfectly fine throughout his test was now also sobbing hysterically."Don't make her do it!!" Dad was in the process of carrying me to the chair and holding me down for the nurse. Dan and I were both in hysterics until the nurse pricked me with the needle and I fainted into a heap. 10 minutes later, we walked out of the hospital, both dad and I were a little shaky.
Today my two youngest children had their well child check-ups and with that came the dreaded immunizations. I warned them on the way and came prepared with m&ms to bribe them with. Both children were charming and adorable throughout the entire exam, eager to show the Doctor all they had accomplished in the last year. They sat calmly waiting for the nurse to arrive with the shots.
The moment she walked in they turned into the most terrible creatures, screaming and bawling. I stared at them wondering how these monsters could have come from my womb. I struggled to pin Ben on the table and Rachel hurled her little bag of m&m's across the room and screamed, "I DON'T WANT A TREAT! I'M NOT GETTING ANY SHOTS!!!" Ten minutes later as I quickly drugged them with Tylenol and loaded them in the car to drive Rachel to her Preschool Valentines party, I thought about Karma, and how my Father could rest assured that I had received due payback for that day so long ago.
QOTD: Annie: Rachel's sad because she had to get shots today.
Rachel: Actually, I had to get Dalmatians (Immunizations) they hurt much worse than shots.
Whew- I need a Pepsi....and a cadberry egg.
4 comments:
So I totally remember the experience. I can remember how terrible I felt for you. I remember driving back in the truck with Dad and thinking, "holy cow, what just happened." good times.
i am so sorry! what a day!
hope your pepsi tasted good!
I feel so bad for all of you! What trauma!!...and DRAMA! I hope neither of them had bad reactions after all that.
Okay, this story sounds exactly like my experience just a couple months ago getting the kids flu shots. Abby is a crazy person when I even mention the word "shot" So I went first, then Andrew(no problem), then Avery (just a few tears) Abby FREAKED out! I was so embarrassed. She was running around the room all sweaty and totally panicked. Screaming, crying, snotting all over the place. At one point she even was hitting the nurse who was trying to restrain her. They had to call in back up and two people had to hold her down. By the end all my kids were crying from the trauma they experienced. All for an optional flu shot. Never again. You are not alone Em.
Post a Comment