
1. FYI: Having a baby over spring break/Easter weekend= bad time for everyone. This led to my Dr. suggesting induction at my last two appointments. He was going to be gone over Easter weekend and wanted to be there for the delivery.
2. For some reason (I blame the hormones) the thought of induction left me in a slightly hysterical state and I spent much of Monday and Tuesday crying and worrying while I frantically cleaned.
3. Tuesday morning, Lucy called and talked me out of my totally crazy state. I hung up from our conversation feeling almost calm. Especially when I remembered running into Lucy in California one November evening as I was walking around the block trying to get my labor moving for Annabel. I also remember spending the evening with Lucy in Maryland 3 years ago and having a huge contraction that was the beginning of my labor with Ben. Lucy is a sign that a baby is coming.
4. After hanging up with Lucy, I called Jennifer and talked over the pros and cons with her. I realized there were lots of positives about being induced. Then I called the hospital and Joe and made arrangements to be induced that evening. I packed up the kids things and took them to Jennifer's house for Becca's birthday party, then I left the kids there, picked up Joe and headed to the hospital.
5. In no time, I was hooked up to pitocin, watching TV with Joe. The labor was excruciatingly slow until I finally got an epidural at 2:00 am and my water broke shortly after. Then by 5:00 am, I was completely dilated and we just had to wait for the Dr. to arrive.
6. The most annoying part for me was definitely the epidural. I only had one for 20 minutes with Rachel and I didn't get one with Ben, so I found it very disconcerting to not feel my legs for 3 hours. Anyone else feel that way?
7. The best surprise was when the Dr. said "I see a head full of dark hair!" Joe and I looked at each other in total shock and said, "Really?!?!" Anyone that has seen our babies knows they are bald for a long time! We were thrilled to have a little girl with hair!
8. Everyone asks if I was surprised it was a girl. I was, but I wasn't. I thought it was a girl (I had a dream about a girl, and the pregnancy reminded me a lot of my pregnancy with Annie) but I didn't know for sure, so it was a surprise when he announced it. Samantha is a name I've loved for a long time, but I did let Joe have a vote :) Sharron is Joe's mom's name and I think it is lovely.
9. Unfortunately, the ordeal of being born has proven quite taxing for baby Sam, and she has spent most of her week with us asleep, much to her older siblings dismay. They had great visions of playtime with the baby that just haven't happened.
10. QOTD: Annie: (as Samantha sleeps on the floor while they play make believe) I guess she can just be the dead witch.
Thanks so much for all your well wishes and to Jennifer. It is debatable which is tougher, 8 hours of labor, or two days with 7 kids under the age of 9. We couldn't have done it without her and my mom. The reason I am able to post tonight, my angel mother is here to help for the week. She has been wonderful! I can't make any promises for next week:)
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
10 on Tuesday - Labor and Delivery Edition
Posted by Emily at 8:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
I don't know who she looks like most, but you can tell she is definatly a Higbee!!!
Dead Witch huh.... well, at least they let Samantha play to.
Emily-mother of the year!
I got the magazine and I don't know which I like better: the scrapbook page or your article following.
You have such beautiful children, and I am impressed that you've already got a photo of all the kids together, and even dressed up so nicely!
When I was a little girl, one of the names I liked best that I hoped to name one of my girls one day was "Samantha Rose". I'm glad you at least have girls to use it!!!
She's absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to meet her! Enjoy her sleepy days while they last! Hope you catch up on some sleep while your mom is there too!
Thinking of you and sending my love!
Am I the weird girl who LOVES labor and delivery stories? Stick me in a baby shower where women share stories--I'm in heaven!
That was a great one! I'm glad "The Baby Whisperer" Lucy was there to calm you down!
Samantha is so fantastically cute and squishy--I love it!!
The QOTD, as always, is so funny I fell over. Those girls kill me! Ben's doomed to a life of running after princess/witch/mermaids/ponies/on and on.......
Thanks for the updates!!
I couldn't stand not feeling my legs for 5 hours! I don't remember that being an issue with Ainsley, but alas. I know I said it before, but she's a beauty!
My little man is currently going through his first inconsolable tantrum. It's not fun. Here's hoping you have none of that. :)
I'm with you on the lack of feeling in your legs. I had that with Lana and it was way too long to have an epidural, but I was still thankful I got it.
I'm so glad everything else went so well, especially with being induced. I feel the same way and hope I don't have to go down that road!
Congratulations, your family is beautiful!
That QOTD is hilarious! I'm with you on the numb legs, plus I really don't like having to be hooked up to the IV either. Induction is a big decision, glad it all went well. Samantha really is beautiful!
Every family needs at dead witch. I'm glad yours finally has one. :)
Congratulations on the new arrival. You have a beautiful family!
I love hearing labor stories, too. Each is unique and the beginning of something so huge! Glad this one went so well, Emily!
Look at you Supermom!! You actually have cute Easter pics with all of your kids!
Thank for the fun details. I never knew they would induce at night. Coarse only having one of mine being induced I guess I didn't know much about that. The numbness in your legs is a little weird but it beats the contractions for me and feeling that baby coming through the birth canal. Beautiful pictures of labor and delivery. Your pretty talented if you can manage to make that look beautiful. Mine are always so awful. I am so proud of you for having your lovely Easter pics so soon after baby. I LOVE the one of all four. I am so glad your mom is there for you!
Congratulations! Thanks to your post, I'm sure I'm going to be getting tons of phone calls, of hopeful preggo moms...
LOVE your pictures, and take lots of them... I'm hating that I haven't kept up on the pictures.
I love love love it! You are a great example of a mother. Three cheers for you! And I am so glad that you didn't have the baby in the parking lot of the hospital like you almost did with Ben!! :)
Congragtulations!!! You have an adorable family. You're at a very exciting time in your life. I hope you're enjoying every minute (no matter how exhausting it may be). Take care!
i am so excited for you! she is beautiful! of course... :)
So cute. Glad everything went well and that you and Samantha are happy and healthy. Love the quote of the day. So funny. Hang in there and get your rest. Lucy said you were already running around doing errands with all the kids you crazy woman. And I agree, it is debatable which is worse, watching all those kids or labor. :)
Hey guys,
we are so glad for you. As the proud parents of two induced children we can vouch for them. She looks beautiful. Hope mom is recovering quickly. Can't wait to meet Samantha!
-D
Where have I been??!?! Obviously, I haven't been keeping up with your blog much over the past several months. Congratulations! Your baby is beautiful. I'm so happy for you.
Hooray for Lucy! She's beautiful and Annie makes me laugh. Congratulations!!!
Post a Comment