Wednesday, June 17, 2009

On Marriage


Nine years ago today, I woke up to a series of catastrophes . Nothing could go right. Normally, this would just be chalked up to a bad day, but this was so much more. It was my wedding day. It started with me waking up late, then getting totally lost and searching for over an hour to find the salon to get my hair done. I was seriously late. Frantically, my sister dropped me at the temple and raced off to finish getting ready. She left before I could remember to get the marriage license out of the car.

I raced into the dressing room to get ready, and that's when I realized I forgot my makeup. That's when I had my breakdown. Sitting there, with my mom and sisters, in my wedding gown, sobbing hysterically, I thought about calling the whole thing off. How can anyone get married without lipstick?

Another bride overheard my situation and lent me her makeup. I tried to get it together and stop crying. Finally, with my eyes still a little red, I walked out into the hall. There sat Joe, waiting anxiously. When he saw me, he jumped up and wrapped his arms around me. "Are you okay?" He asked. And suddenly, I was. In that moment, I had a confirmation. I knew that as long as this man was by my side, I could handle whatever life threw at me. From that moment on, the day was bliss.

Looking back, I can't help but smile at my naivete. As if lipstick was truly a trial to overcome in the big scheme of things. Since then, we've faced so much more. Some of it has been the happily ever after I imagined, and some of it so much tougher than I ever imagined. One thing consistent, the two of us facing it all together. I can't help but be grateful for it all. I'm so grateful for all of the fun times we've had, but my favorite is the little things, like when we look at each other and I know we're laughing at the same thing. I'm grateful for the family we have. I'm grateful that Joe forgave me for trying to strangle him that one time. I'm grateful for what we have accomplished in these 9 years and excited for what is to come. Happy anniversary Joe.

8 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Ahhhhh, that is sweet and romantic! Congrats on #9! You guys make a great couple!

Des said...

You guys are an amazing couple. We think your both a lot of fun and we are so happy you two got married! Congrats:)

The Galan Family said...

Congratulations to you guys. I love that story. So funny how our perspective changes so much. I thought I knew so much when I got married.

The Higbee Family said...

You make me cry! We love you guys and Happy Anniversary

Heather said...

I love your picture. Joe looks like such a young high-schooler! What a beautiful couple you are.

shel said...

Happy Anniversary you two!! I remember so well when Joe first met you. He made you come to the hospital and meet my newborn twins and you didn't even know the family. He just felt like he had to come and see us, but he couldn't stand to be away from you already! We knew he we was definitely a goner. You're on your way to a full decade now...feels old, doesn't it? :)

{leah} said...

Congrats on 9 years!! {I'm glad you didn't strangle him}


{I was late to my wedding too}

Jennie said...

this is a beautiful post! what a great tribute to you and your husband!

congrats!