February is not my month. By February, I am so over the winter weather. Terrible things happen in February. I've mentioned before that I personally believe that February should end on the 15th. In anticipation of the month of "blah", my sister and I planned a road trip. We would meet in Boise and stay in a hotel. Talk and play games and let the children swim in the middle of winter. Last Thursday we left. On Friday, we received the devastating news that my cousin Melissa's husband had passed away. We were shocked. How sad that such a good person, with a kind heart and a beautiful family should leave this earth too soon.
Melissa and her children have been on my mind since and I'm sure I have wearied the Lord with my prayers on their behalf. I've thought of Kevin and how much life he crammed into his 31 years. I am reminded that each day is a gift and am ashamed that I was wishing away an entire month of them. A good month! One dedicated to celebrating those we love.
So when we came home and our children erupted with a nasty stomach virus, I didn't curse the month of February. Instead, I sent prayers of gratitude that I could sit and rock my beautiful babies. And when Susie came and said, "You count, I'll hide!" for the 700th time that day, I said, "Okay, go!!" Instead of expressing my impatience with the dreary weather, I pondered how I could use my time more wisely. I've thought about what impact my life has had on those I love. I think I could do better. I am resolved to do better. Kevin has impacted my life. He has given me February. A whole month. A month to call a friend or family member. To read stories to my kids. To love my husband. Time to repent and do better. A month to ponder what good I can do.
To love life.
To be grateful for every. single. day.
Even in February.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Life in February
Posted by Emily at 4:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Emily! I wish we could have had a chance to talk. I had no idea any of this was happening. What a heartbreak. Thanks for sharing the perspective. Love to you.
Thank you, that was beautiful.
This is absolutely beautiful! I've always been one to wish away January and February in anticipation for Spring. I have a new perspective thanks to your words. I am sorry for the loss of your cousin's husband. I appreciate that you shared your new-found perspective from this difficult situation.
Thanks for sharing, it's beautiful. I'm sorry for your cousin's loss. It was a great thing to read, especially on a day like today when we are all 'stuck' inside for a snow day. I will try remember that perspective.
Your words give me more appreciation for everything that I have and hold dear. Thanks dear Emily.
Our time with your family was awfully short on Sat., but oh-so-sweet! We're just happy we got to see you & share some smiles & hugs.
Hopefully you've all recovered from that tummy bug. That seems to be a common hazard of trips w/ kids.
You shared a truth which we all need to be reminded of. LIFE is more than what happens to us. It's how we deal with what happens to us. And our attitude--our perspective--makes all the difference.I need to do some repenting in that regard, too. xo
Post a Comment