Monday, August 22, 2011

When Evelyn was Born




After being induced with Susannah, I was determined to let things happen on their own this time. I didn't like being induced or having the epidural for so long. I started having Braxton Hicks weeks before the due date and some of them were so strong and so long, I started to think she might come early. We had family over for Easter and Jen even stayed an extra day because we were so sure delivery was imminent. Every time the contractions would stop. On Tuesday, I went to the Dr. and the resident checked me. She said that I hadn't progressed at all. I told her that I thought it would be soon, maybe that night or the next day. She looked at me like I was crazy. That night, I was cleaning the house and then I ran to the store to pick up a few things. While I was there, I had a couple of contractions and they had a little bit of a kick to them that made me think I was beginning labor. I got home and asked Joe to call a friend from school to see if he would sleep at the house if we did go in to the hospital. Neither of us were sure if this was really it but after a few contractions, Joe was ready to go to the hospital. My mom called and said she could come that evening if we wanted her to and I said, "sure, you can meet us at the hospital."

We head to the hospital and arrive around 10:30. The resident checks me and says I am at a 4 or 5. They tell me the Dr. will be in soon to check me. I argue with the nurse about the necessity of an IV. I tell her I want to go natural and she rolls her eyes. We get a new nurse a little after 11:00. Around 12:00, I'm rethinking my whole natural plan. I ask the nurse to check me again. She tells me I'm at an 8 or 9. Then I have a huge contraction and I tell her the baby is coming. The Dr. still hasn't been in to see me. The nurse sends for the Dr. and tells me not to push. The Dr is busy, so the resident comes in. They tell me not to push. I tell them the baby is coming. The nurse calls for a Pediatric Dr. and the ER Dr. The room is full of medical professionals all telling me not to push. The nurse is yelling down the hall for the OB. I start pushing. Joe begins to panic. No one wants to step up and deliver the baby. He tells me not to push. Finally, the resident decided that they couldn't make me wait any longer, and I pushed and at 12:32 am, our beautiful daughter, Evelyn Kay was born. She was our smallest baby, weighing in at 6 pounds 7 ounces. We both loved the name Evelyn right away and her middle name, Kay, is after two of my favorite people: my Grandma Kay and my sister, Jennifer Kay.

Aside from my irritation with the staff, I have to say it was one of my best deliveries. Evelyn has been a dream baby and is already almost 4 months old! More on Evelyn later this week.



3 comments:

D'Neill said...

I'm so glad you're back! Congratulations on the new baby!!! I'm anxiously waiting to hear about everything, especially the move since I'm really feeling your pain about being lonely and reaching out to the friends in cyberspace :)

Lani said...

Congratulations, she's beautiful!

Gma Higbee said...

Welcome back! I did a double take when i saw your new post (as i automatically clicked thru my "favorites"). What a great surprise. I love reading what your clever kids and crazy husband are up to, as well as all the drama of a busy modern woman!
Love ya!!