Tuesday, May 27, 2008

10 on Tuesday- "Chaffin Family Memorial Day Campout" Edition

1. Drove to Lick Creek for the annual camp out. The kids were super excited despite the forecast of gloomy weather.

2. I know this year we spent way more time preparing for the camp out than actually at the camp out.

3. Ben was a super camper! He loved being outside, playing, and riding on the 4-wheelers. The best part was, he didn't even need anyone to drive him on them! He would just climb on and pretend to drive them, making very loud engine noises for hours. He was a very low-maintenance child, he just hated to go to bed and miss out on the party. He would climb out of the pack and play and under the tent door to get back out where the party was-crazy kid!

4. Joe had a great time playing lawn golf, ultimate Frisbee, and is still nursing a tragic wound from a freak accident playing "Mountain Man Cricket".
5. Rachel was also injured- she burned her thumb on a hot stove and reacted in true melodramatic form for the rest of the weekend, making sure to whimper all answers, hold her thumb out constantly so everyone could see her injury, and make everyone carry her everywhere.6. Luckily she was able to shake of the pain to have the best time with Annie and her cousins, playing barbies, picking wildflowers, and planning an elaborate surprise birthday party for Robyn (who's birthday is in December).

7. I enjoyed seeing everyone else's sweet babies and not having one of my own-Is that bad?
8. We played lots of games and I got creamed by Jill in progressive rummy. I'll be sure to bring my A-game in July, when we have a re-match.

9. We were so grateful to Uncle Ken who lent us his camper to bath 3 of the filthiest children you've ever seen.

10. Annabel loved being with Gma and Gpa, all of the delicious snacks, and sleeping in the tent and is totally distraught that it is over. She cried on the way home, "I'm just so sad that it's over!". The sadness combined with the discovery of a nasty bug bite made her slightly hysterical, and Joe and I could not convince her to calm down and go to bed. Finally we let her lay on the couch where she promptly fell asleep. What a great weekend!

13 comments:

Heather said...

What a fabulous weekend! I agree that Nature is the best babysitter--well, and all the aunts, uncles, and cousins. I'm glad you got a little break from being the main source of entertainment for your little ones.

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Looks and sounds like you had a blast! Even with the gloomy weather!! Who's the two people on the left side in the family picture?

Emily said...

Kala, that is Matt Fergusen (Dan's friend) and his girlfriend, Jamie. Matt comes every year:)

Harmony said...

This looks SO fun! I'm afraid to even ask what "Mountain Man Cricket" even is!

Jennie said...

it sounds like you had such a great time!

Jess and the KIDS!!!! said...

don't you just love the family campouts!!! Looks like you had a fabulous time even with the crazy weather. we are taking our kids to yellowstone in a few weeks after brendan's AT. I sure hope they do as well camping as your 3. take care

Jill said...

Yeah for a great weekend! We loved seeing you and thanks again for all your help. Great pics! I will send you the one of Annie and the puppie soon.

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Em,
I forgot to tell you how much I love that "pyramid" shot with Joe and all the kids! I grinned from ear to ear when I saw it, how precious!
Oh right-Ferg-I remember now, thanks for the reply!
Kala

Alleman Family said...

I've totally missed your 10 on Tuesday!! I haven't blogged in forever! I laugh every time I read your blog... LOVE IT! Oh yeah, I was at the book table FOREVER ago and I voted for your layout... did you win?

the Johnstons said...

Emily....

Random! :) I am so glad you found me! :) I was just thinking about you and wondered where you were! :) I am still in Idaho and enjoying life! :) Email me and we will catch up! jennyjohnston@gmail.com

Jen Blayden

the Johnstons said...

Em,

How did you find me? I love it! :) Your family is adorable. email me and we will catch up.

Jen

jennyjohnston1@gmail.com

the Johnstons said...

Emily I am so glad you found me... random! :) How did you do that? email me and we will catch up.
jennyjohnston1@gmail.com

jen blayden

Kellie said...

It looks like you guys had an awesome weekend, I was SO disapointed to miss it this year. But with Donny having to work and me not feeling well I knew it just wasn't going to happen, oh well there's always next year!