Sunday, June 29, 2008

Happy Birthday to the love of my life.


Today is Joe's 30th birthday. That's right- the big 3-0. In honor of the occasion, I'm listing 30 things I love about him. This is cake for me because I could easily list hundreds.

1. Not to be superficial, but I'm going to start with looks. He's very good looking with that sweet smile and those dreamy dark eyes.

2. He's very tall and strong which makes him very handy to have around and makes me feel small and feminine even when I'm not:)

3. Joe is very charming, he can always make the toughest crowd smile and people never forget him. My grandmother says he's the all American Boy- I agree.

4. He is very considerate, he is thoughtful and tries to be positive and kind, never rude or degrading.

5. Joe is the smartest person I know. He knows about everything which can be irritating at times, but helpful at times.

6. It's no secret that I don't know how to fix my hair. When we have a special event, Joe straightens my hair for me.

7. He knows exactly what I like. After I had Rachel, we drove from the hospital to the scrapbook store so he could buy me stuff I really wanted.

8. Joe is the best father in the world. I can see the love he has for his children in his eyes. He plays with them, teaches them, hugs them, wrestles with them, changes diapers, puts them to bed, takes them with him to run his errands, and he plans his schedule so he can spend as much time with us as possible.
9. Whenever he is coming home he calls me to see if there is anything I want or need, so he can save me a trip.

10. Joe always wins every game, and he feels terrible! He wants me to win, so sometimes he'll try to throw the game.

11. He always tries to do the right thing..... He's the one helping the new neighbors move in by himself, staying late to get the work done, and always going the extra mile.

12. He is very patient. He's sat through a few tantrums, some of them by me and remained calm and stuck it out to resolve the problem.

13. Joe is so supportive of my dreams, he encourages me to try new things, to get out, and he takes the kids so I can have some time to myself.

14. He puts his family first, our needs are always met and I've never had to worry about how we would pay the bills or if I should go to work.

15. He likes adventure and we've had a few! I've loved moving around the country with him, going on vacation with him, having children with him because it is always a huge adventure!

16. He learned how to do ponytails so he could fix the girls hair.

17. On Sundays he sits with 3 kids alone while I play the organ.

18. I swear he can read my thoughts- If I've forgotten something, or lost something, or I'm wishing for something- I just have to think of it and he will magically appear with it. Case in point: On Sunday, I forgot my lesson at home (I went early to play the organ) Joe brought it for me.

19. Joe is the best shopper I know. He does his research and always finds the best product for the best price. Seriously. I've never seen anything like it.

20. He always says, "What can I do?"

21. He does the perfect thing. When we first started dating, he gave me a microwave and a huge case of microwave popcorn because he knew it was my favorite treat in the whole world. A few years ago, for Christmas, he bought me a rock polisher. I've always wanted one of those!!

22. He's very masculine, but not too much of a man for tea parties, my little ponies, and Build a Bear.

23. He likes to hang out with me and doesn't mind that I talk a lot about our kids, scrapbooking, The Office (Hey, I don't get out much!).

24. I love traveling with him. Especially at night, when the kids fall asleep in the back of the car and we keep talking to keep each other awake and just ramble on about everything- that is the best!

25. He's super fun to hang out with.

26. He puts up with my eccentricities. Like when I make him wear certain clothes for a scrapbook page, or how I take a long time to make up my mind, or how I only like certain food at certain restaurants, or how my paper obsession has completely taken over our shared office and he has to do all of his homework on the laptop at our dining room table, or how I have to have all 5 pillows arranged when I sleep, or that I use all of his razors to shave my legs..........Well, you get the picture.

27. He's a good kisser.

28. He's gotten up at 4:30 in the morning for as long as we've been married, and he tiptoes around in the dark so he doesn't wake me.

29. He clips the Michaels coupon out of the newspaper for me.

30. He's just the most amazing man ever.

Joe, I just want to say I love you and I'm the luckiest girl in the world to be your wife! I'm so glad we're a family and I hope you have the best birthday ever!!

11 comments:

Monique said...

Hubba Hubba! How about: volunteers to watch other people's kids for them and even come over to their house and tend them. AND volunteer to tend other's people's kids while they are moving and going crazy. . . even if it's WAY past bedtime. sigh. He's such a trooper. ALSO: get poison ivy and not even complain about it at church the next day. We didn't even know until YOU told us! . . . the manly scrapbook shopping rules by the way. :)

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Happy 30th Joe! Wow, he sounds like the PERFECT man!!! My favorite is that he straightens your hair for you. I've never heard of a man doing such a thing. And he even does the girls' hair. I'm totally amazed!!! Did you get lucky or what, Em? You sure picked a good one!

Lucy said...

Josh and I both agree with number NINETEEN!! Always finds the best deals... it's uncanny.

Happy Birthday to Joe!

Harmony said...

This is my favorite birthday post ever! I looooove that he straightens your hair--you lucked out on that one!

Happy Birthday Joe!

{leah} said...

happy birthday Joe!!! Wow... You're getting old! (I guess Steve is too)

Des said...

Emily, What a sweet and sincere little tribute to the love of your life. Both Orange and I think the world of Joe. He is one neat guy. You are very lucky to have found him. AND he is very lucky to have found you:) Happy 30th birthday Joe!!

the Johnstons said...

i have never met Joe but I am sooo glad that you found a wonderful guy! It is the best when you found your perfect "dragon slayer" (that is what I call my husband, greg! ) :)

The Galan Family said...

This is so sweet. You really did get quite a catch Em. But so did he. :) Happy Birthday Joe! I need to have Perry read this now and get some pointers. :)

Lani said...

What a guy! What a cute and sweet birthday post!

Jennie said...

this is such a great tribute!

i totally love my husband, but man... could he learn a thing or two from yours...

:)

Lisa G. said...

Your list made me smile! and reminded me of all the great things my hubby does!! Happy 3-0!