Tuesday, September 8, 2009

10 On Tuesday

1. Had a great weekend. Friday we went to see my parents. They welcomed us with a wonderful dinner and great conversation. After the kids went to bed, we played a rummy, where I creamed everyone. Then Joe and I went to see Julie and Julia, which I loved.

2. While we were at Mom and Dad's, we saw cousin Lizzie on the front page of the paper. Turns out, her pig won grand champion at the fair. According to Aunt Christi, it was a shock to everyone. When they began to show pigs, the Madsen boy's pig got so excited, it had a seizure and dropped dead, and that opened the competition way up.

3. On Saturday, we headed to the State fair. We had the best time perusing the commercial booths, watching cooking shows, riding rides, and stuffing ourselves with fair food. Mom and Dad and Laurel and Dane were great help with the kids and Susannah was a great sport. A good time for all.


4. When we left, Grandma gave us a box of old AARP magazines and Rachel a swan made from 5000 pieces of tiny folded paper. As I've cleaned up those 5000 pieces of the paper swan, I've dreamed of how great it will be to be a grandparent, and send the children home at the end of the weekend. And instead of throwing anything out, handing it to one of my children or grandchildren and saying, "I've always wanted you to have this."

5. QOTD: Joe and I were cleaning up and getting ready for bed around midnight the other night when Ben walks downstairs, "Hey! Do you guys want to watch a cartoon?"

6. We have started Susannah on solids and she loves it! She's just figuring out her hands and we get a kick out of watching her look at them in awe.


7. Annabel had her first day of ballet today. I was a little worried about how it would be when I read the paperwork. They seemed a lot more serious about ballet than we are. There is a required, color coded leotard they must wear to every practice with their hair neatly in a bun. Annabel fell twice before she actually made it into the class, but she seemed to enjoy it and Joe said her bun was one of the best. Well, at the beginning of the class. At the end of the class, it was barely a bun, but still I think it might work out.


8. We've been partying hard with a BBQ with some of Joe's classmates and a Roller Skating ward party. Annabel is getting great ideas for the huge fiesta she is planning for her birthday in November. On the list so far: Pinata, staying up until 8:30, roller skating, homemade root beer and new additions every day. It's gonna be huge.

9. Heard from Aunt Kari today. Looks like we will have another little niece soon. We are so thrilled for her and Chris and we can't wait to meet her!

10. Could not understand why everyone was looking at me funny while I was standing in line at the Maverik tonight. It wasn't until I was driving home that I looked down and realized I had inadvertently dipped my left breast in the frozen yogert I picked up for Joe. Awesome.

9 comments:

Monique said...

You can always put a smile on my face. The fair seemed nostalgic. A favorite American pastime for sure. And did you want to watch a cartoon? ;)

Lucy said...

Sounds like life is back to normal, he he.

The Galan Family said...

Your updates are the best! Love all your pictures. We need to plan another reunion or our couples trip! Oh and don't worry, I dip my boob in stuff all the time :)

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Lizzie's pig stall was right next to Ammon's pig at the fair because we were in the same club. Dylan Brewer got grand champion pig and Katie Hamblin got reserve grand champion pig. But Lizzie's pig was the one that made the front page of the paper because they dressed up their pig in cowboy apparel for the livestock sale. Just thought I'd let you know the correction, because I was there and witnessed it all first-hand!!!
Looks like you had a great time at the state fair! I'm craving state fair food right now!

shel said...

What were you smokin' when you wrote this post?? It is hilarious!! The bit about the pig is just too good...you can't make this stuff up.

Life sounds very busy but super fun! Can you adopt me?

Jennie said...

i love being able to keep up with you and the fun things your family is doing! we miss you!

Gma Higbee said...

I bet the girls are both going to love ballet. Has Rachel started classes yet? (How can you put shorter hair in a bun?)
Sounds like you had a fun weekend. We'll be happy when you can come & play with us, too.
Did Ben think it was morning already?? How cute.
Our love to all!

Crystal said...

Last year when Ainsley started ballet I feared her teacher was too serious. But Ainsley loves every minute of it. She still fights me on the bun but we get it in there every week, just like required.

LOVED the pig story. Fro-yo boobs are old hat, but pigs dropping dead? Priceless.

Des said...

Hey we missed each other at the fair. We went on Monday:( that would have been so fun to run into you guys! It sounds like you guys are finding your groove in the new house, new town, new job. I thought about you as the scrapbook expo is THIS weekend! Fun memories. Give me a call if you find a chance in these busy days.