Wednesday, September 30, 2009

On Friendship

I realize that I am going blog crazy this week - three posts in one week! I mentioned that I was going to introduce you to some friends. I have wanted to do this for some time, but it always was set aside. Then I saw this video and knew I needed to start. My life has been blessed with great friends. Amazing women who have encouraged, inspired, and shared their lives with me. I want you to know them! Let introduce you to Kala.


Kala is married to an old friend of mine that I grew up with named Josh. Josh and I go way back. We even went to our senior prom together. That was kind of a disaster that led to us getting in a huge fight and not speaking for months but that's another blog post (just kidding, Josh). Years later when Joe and I were newlyweds, we were walking through the mall and ran into Josh, who introduced us to his wife, Kala. As it turns out, Josh and Kala were in our ward. That Sunday, I can remember leaning over to Joe and whispering to Joe "I like her!" just after she said "crap" in the middle of her talk in Sacrament meeting.

Fast forward a few years, Josh and Kala are in Salmon, Joe is in Korea, and I am living in my parents basement with an 18 month old and an infant. Kala took the opportunity to reach out her hand in friendship. I was so glad. I really needed a friend. Kala already had lots of friends, and family in the area, and a job, and 3 small children of her own, but still she took the time to call, stop by, remember my birthday, and babysit when I needed it. I was so impressed when she would show up at my house, showered ready for the day with her twin babies in tow. I would be still in my pajamas, and struggling to form coherent sentences (Rachel as an infant kind of kicked my butt). Kala would invite me out, chat with my on the phone, listen to me vent, scrapbook with me, and welcome me into her home. All were so important to me surviving that year. As any person that has lived through a deployment can tell you, one of the hard parts is always feeling like a burden or a third wheel. Josh and Kala never made me feel like a third wheel. They always acted like it was perfectly normal for the three of us to watch The Amazing Race together. Friends like that are hard to come by.

Kala is fun, direct, thoughtful, and truly amazing. She has a delightful blog that always makes me homesick.

Now here is the hard part, I would really like it if you would stop by her blog and say hello! I know you don't know her, but take my word for it, she is awesome! So do it! Just click and type two letters - hi - It's always fun to make new friends!

5 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

so glad you left out prom details, hopefully that never shows up in a blog until long after I am dead and gone. The rest of the post was great though, and interesting too. Josh

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Wow. I'm stunned. And shocked. And speechless.
That was such a nice tribute! I'm glad to think I made a positive impression, because the feeling is mutual. I remember being so grateful when you were in Salmon because I had a friend when I was going through some lonely trials.
We had some good times, didn't we?!

Hamblin Family said...

Emily, It's Amy Hamblin I forgot to get your email before you left. I love to read your blog and I am glad that you seem to be doing well! Your kids are to cute. Annie and Racheal are missed in primary! Email me your email, lol, scottamy.hamblin@gmail.com

shel said...

Wow...all these posts! Hurray!!!

You are one blessed woman! - To have such amazing friendships!!

And congratulations on the AWARD! OF COURSE you won! You ARE hilarious and look how fun and colorful all your stuff looks. Very nice, Em.

Hansen Family said...

Em,it has been awhile since I could catch up with your family. Loved all your blogging! You are very talented and everytime I see your stuff in Creating Keepsakes I smile just to know you. Glad your move went smooth and hopefully everything will work out with the house. Just did that myself(a move and sale of a home). Tell me I will survive and still be sane, my husband deploys in January. I know you have been there. Thanks for sharing such cute stories about your family!